Republicans never stop complaining about “liberal bias”, but in truth the media is just like high school. Ideology is for nerds. Some politicians are “cool” and some aren’t. The cool ones get coddled while the uncool ones are fair game for all manner of bullying.
Here’s a partial listing:
- Bill Clinton (1992)
- Barack Obama (off-the-charts cool in 2008, less so now)
- Bill Clinton (now)
- Michael Dukakis
- Bill Clinton (1993-2000)
- Hillary Clinton (1993-2000)
- Al Gore (2000-2007) — “You wouldn’t want to have a beer with him. He thinks he invented the internet. Goddamned smarty-pants know-it-all.”
- John Kerry (only cool in 1972)
- Hillary Clinton (2008) — They REALLY hated her guts!
- Ronald Reagan — The Gipper. Always cool.
- George H.W. Bush — He was cool for a few months right after the first Gulf War.
- George W. Bush (2000-2006) — “You’d like to have a beer with him.” War Swaggerer-in-Chief.
- John McCain (1993 — 2007) The Steve McQueen of political coolness.
- Bob Dole
- George H. W. Bush (1992) — Grocery store scanner incident. Out of touch much, George?
- John McCain (now) — “Get off my lawn!” But David Gregory still digs him.
- Mitt Romney — “What’s with the mommy jeans, Mitt?” says Chris Matthews. He’s got a point.
And that’s the way it is.